So, we have been making different versions, testing them out & this is by far our favorite one!! My previous post is of the original version. The cinnamon gives this dish such a warm feeling and the chili powder just helps bring out a bit of spicy flavor from the sweet potatoes. When I came up with this I thought what are some classic southern foods that really compliment each other...SWEET POTATOES & BACON!!!! When I posted on Facebook last night that this was what we were having for dinner my friend Sharon immediately requested the recipe, it filled me with joy knowing that she trusted me before the final product had even hit the ABLOF Facebook page. Thank you, Sharon!!! She is actually making this for a brunch this weekend & can't wait to hear what everyone thinks!!
4 slices of bacon
1 sweet potato, peeled & cut into 1/2 in cubes
Season potatoes (to taste) with Chili Powder & Cinnamon
8 large eggs
salt & pepper to taste (suggestion 1/2 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper)
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
4 scallions, sliced thin
1. In a 10-12 inch oven proof frying pan or cast iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Place on paper towel lined plate. When cool, crumple into 1/4 in pieces and set aside.
2. In same pan, leave 2 tablespoons bacon fat, reserving the rest in a small bowl. Cook potato in bacon fat over med-high heat until browned and tender, 8-10 mins. Remove & let cool.
3. In a bowl, beat eggs with salt and pepper. Add bacon and potatoes.
4. Preheat oven to broil, placing rack 6 inches from heat.
5. Heat reserved bacon fat (if there is any, if not you can sub butter) in pan over med. heat. Add egg mixture, reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 6 mins. Drop in small dollops of sour cream and top with cheese.
6. Broil for 2 mins, until eggs are set. Garnish with scallions & ENJOY!!!